With the initial onset of cold symptoms there are a few things I do to support my body’s ability to combat it.
- Onions improve circulation and break up thick mucus and congestion. Sleep with a yellow onion, chopped in quarters, next to the bed as the vapour it emits has been known to help clear the respiratory system.
- Oil of Oregano is a highly potent purifier with antimicrobial properties that are said to kill bacteria and enhance the immune system. Take 5 drops under your tongue then chug a glass of water a few times a day when you feel the onset of a cold to help your body fight infection.
- Emergen-C is a supplement drink mix that contains 1,000 mg of vitamin C. Vitamin C is vital for immune system function, protecting cells against free-radical damage. Drink 1 packet a few times per day.
- Manuka honey is very soothing for a sore throat with antibacterial and healing properties. It can be made into a tea by melting 1 tbsp into a cup of boiling water with a few slices of fresh ginger.
- Drink lots of water allowing your body to flush out toxins and be well hydrated.
- Take the time to rest and allow your body to fight.
In short, onions help to absorb and support the respiratory system as oil of oregano fights to kill bacteria and Emergen-C boosts the immune system. All of these items can be purchased at the grocery store with the later two being found in the natural health aisle.
As you support your body by taking the steps above, it is also important to nourish with light meals such as vegetable soup and salads. The goal is to provide your body with nutrient rich whole foods that are easy to digest, allowing your body to fight illness and heal.